Furthering my quest to discover the cheapest way to pre-treat EVA foam to get the best results I ran a little comparison between Elmer’s Tacky Glue and Plasti-dip.
These scraps of foam are all painted with 1 part Tacky Glue to 1 part water and then painted with one coat of metallic spray paint. The numbers indicate how many coats of the glue that each piece got. The gouged up foam was just so I could see what impact the tacky glue would have on imperfections.
Note: one problem I had with the Tacky Glue that I didn’t have last time I used it was that there seemed to be some sort of chemical on the foam that was hydrophobic in small spots. So no matter how many times I painted the glue on it would not stick. You can see the evidence of this in 1,2, & 3 especially. Some pieces of foam were so bad that I had to throw them out for this experiment. If this were to happen on a build piece then Tacky Glue may not work as a sealant.
Here is the plasti-dip samples. Again, the number represents how many coats of plasti-dip each piece received.
Here is a comparison between the two that had received 5 coats. You can see that that tacky glue has a slightly smoother texture, but is still mildly pocked.
Here are the gouged pieces. It is one piece that I cut in half so the damage would be similar. The Tacky Glue slightly filled in the gouges, the plasti-dip not at all. Neither of these methods work for repairing or smoothing foam before painting.
These are the 5 coat pieces. The one on the left is the control – it is plain foam that was not treated at all, just spray painted. All 3 pieces were vigorously flexed back and forth.
These one coat pieces after being vigorously flexed. There seems to be a relation with the smoother the surface the more damage it will take when flexing. If you are not seeking a super shiny surface then one coat of plasti-dip may be enough and will take flexing well.