I’ve had to do a lot of trial and error on the helmet build. I’ve just never built anything like this and there is no pattern to follow. Basically, I’m just making it up as I go. The problem I’ve run into is that the shield and the helmet have different curves, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to compensate for that and still get the general look and shape I want. I spent a whole afternoon building some side pieces that ultimately I ended up throwing out because they just didn’t work with the curve of the face shield.
I realized I needed to start building on the shield and then work my way out from there. So I covered the shield with plastic wrap and then duct tape. I drew on the duct tape with a sharpy the shape I wanted and that made the pattern for the 1/4 inch foam.
This is the build so far:
I’ve also worked on a few of the detail pieces. I experimented with a burning gun on foam for the first time and am happy with the result. It does stink though, so I had to do it out in my freezing cold garage. Not fun.